Rather than filling your e-mail in-basket, we ask that you chose your latest Rotary News. Below, the monthly updates to our District 5020 Newsletter, Rotary International News, Future Vision, Disaster Aid Canada, and Shelterbox Canada.
|District 5020 Governor (that's ours) publishes a monthly newsletter, Clik here for the Newsletter & what other Clubs are doing|
District Governor Judy Byron
Assistant District Governor
|Rotary International News|
Sign-up for digital edition of The Rotarian Magazine
- Join a Twitter chat on membership with General Secretary John Hewko
- Wednesday, 29 July 2015, 12:15 PM
- Kick off Membership and New Club Development Month by participating in a Twitter chat with Rotary International General Secretary John Hewko on 5 August at 10:30 Chicago time (UTC-5). Get tips and resources for gaining members and becoming more involved in your club. Share your own ideas and expertise on how Rotary members can encourage their friends to join. Use #RotaryChat to participate and follow @Rotary and @JohnHewko.
- Nigeria sees no wild polio cases for one year
- Friday, 24 July 2015, 01:30 PM
- Today marks one year since Nigeria last reported a polio case caused by wild poliovirus, putting the country on the brink of eradicating the paralyzing disease. The last case was reported on 24 July 2014 in the northern state of Kano. If no cases are reported in the coming weeks, the World Health Organization is expected to remove Nigeria from the list of countries where polio is endemic, leaving just two: Afghanistan and Pakistan. Nigeria is the last polio-endemic country in Africa. The continent is poised to reach its own first full year without any illness from the virus on 11 August. “...
- Australian students take opportunity by the horns
- Friday, 17 July 2015, 10:15 AM
- The rules of the Shaftesbury Rodeo Academy are simple: no school, no rodeo. It’s a message that teenagers who attend school at Bisley Farm, most of whom have never attended any school regularly, take seriously. Because come Friday night, these aspiring rodeo heroes want to join their friends to ride bulls for a heart-stopping eight seconds, if they last that long. The school in rural Queensland, Australia, also teaches the boys, who are of the Wakka Wakka Aboriginal people, basic academics and farming skills, including how to care for crops and livestock. It’s a fairly common form of...
- Illiteracy traps adults, and their families, in poverty
- Thursday, 9 July 2015, 01:45 PM
- Around the world, millions of adults are unable to read or write, and therefore struggle to earn a living for themselves and their families. Even in the United States, with its considerable resources, there are 36 million adults who can’t read better than the average third-grader, according to the international nonprofit ProLiteracy. In Detroit, Michigan, a widely cited 2003 survey conducted by the National Institute for Literacy found that almost half of residents over age 16 were functionally illiterate -- unable to use reading, speaking, writing, and computer skills in everyday life....
- Meet Rotary’s new president
- Wednesday, 1 July 2015, 05:30 PM
- This excerpt from the July issue of The Rotarian magazine profiles the 2015-16 RI president. Before he gives a speech, K.R. Ravindran doesn’t like flowery, adulatory introductions. They make him uncomfortable. The 2015-16 Rotary president would rather keep a low profile and share the credit. If it were up to him, you probably wouldn’t even be reading this article. Negotiating Days of Tranquility during the Sri Lankan civil war so that health workers could administer drops of polio vaccine? Although it was on his desk that the agreement landed, he says, a lot of people worked to make that...
- Apply to serve on an RI committee
- Wednesday, 1 July 2015, 12:15 PM
- If you would you like to contribute to Rotary by serving on a committee, this is your opportunity. The nine committees listed below are searching for qualified candidates for openings in 2016-17. Each of these committee works with Rotary leaders to increase efficiency and promote the goals and priorities of our strategic plan. To be considered for a committee appointment, go to www.tinyurl.com/ri-committee-application for an application form. The application deadline is 20 August. Learn more about the committees and the application process. Get answers to frequently asked questions....
|Disaster Aid Canada|
- John Joynt Joins Disaster Aid Team
- Following the recent retirement of Don & Anne Ohlgren, John Joynt, a high profile business executive, Rotarian and incoming Club President, has volunteered to work with the Board of Disaster Aid Canada to increase the profile and visibility of Disaster Aid Canada and the many facets of the operations.
- Executive Director Retires
- At the annual year-end board meeting of Disaster Aid Canada, Don Ohlgren submitted his resignation as the Executive Director of Disaster Aid Canada.
- Little Dresses for Africa
- We just sent 500 little dresses to Thailand to Global Neighbours. They will surely use them to assist with the thousands of refugees that they work with on Myanmar border. From their side they said these are a godsend for them and will give the little girls a sense of security and let them know that someone somewhere cares for them.
- Soap For Hope
- We also have just sent over 500 hygiene kits to our partners; Global Neighbours. Pictures attached of volunteers helping to process the nearly one ton of used soap that we are now collecting every month from Victoria and Vancouver Islands best hotels. More and more hotels are calling us every day to come on with this ingenious program that turns the wasted soaps and shampoos into brand new hygiene kits that literally save lives by cleaning hands and bodies.
- New Volunteer Program
- With so much new stuff happening now, we encourge volunteers to come into our Victoria Warehouse and assist us to prepare and pack the soap Hygiene Kits.
Water Purification Plant
|Shelter Box Canada News|
- Tandem 10,000 challengers make it to Denver
- Tandem 10,000 challengers make it to Denver
- Social media and cause marketing propel ShelterBox USA aid in Haiti
- Her Royal Highness, Duchess of Cornwall Hosts ShelterBox Leadership in her Home in London