Rather than filling your e-mail in-basket, we ask that you chose your latest Rotary News. Below, the monthly updates to our District 5020 Newsletter, Rotary International News, Future Vision, Disaster Aid Canada, and Shelterbox Canada.
|District 5020 Governor (that's ours) publishes a monthly newsletter, Clik here for the Newsletter & what other Clubs are doing|
District Governor Judy Byron
Assistant District Governor
|Rotary International News|
Sign-up for digital edition of The Rotarian Magazine
- New Rotary flag and banner materials available in Brand Center
- Tuesday, 24 November 2015, 10:45 AM
- Give your Rotary flag or banner a new and professional look with our updated materials, available in the Brand Center. With eight options of colors and backgrounds to choose from, you can find the design that will best strengthen your club or district brand. The Brand Center also offers everything you need to create communications with the Rotary look and tone. You can download Rotary’s logo -- or create your own club or district logo. And you’ll find editable templates for brochures, newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, fliers, and more. (Sign-in required.)
- Rotary honors six women for leadership and humanitarian service
- Monday, 19 October 2015, 12:45 PM
- Rotary President K.R. Ravindran has named six Rotary Global Women of Action for 2015. The honorees were chosen for their dedication and service, which has improved the lives of thousands around the world. “Every day at Rotary I see firsthand how our members work to change lives and make a significant impact,” said Ravindran. “Rotary’s Global Women of Action embody Rotary’s motto, Service Above Self.” The women will be honored at Rotary Day at the United Nations in New York City on 7 November. They will address attendees and lead discussions on various topics related to their work. The six...
- Showcase your project at the Seoul convention
- Thursday, 10 September 2015, 10:45 AM
- Apply to host a booth in the House of Friendship at the 2016 Rotary International Convention in Seoul, 28 May-1 June. This is an opportunity to showcase your club or district project, recruit members for your Rotary Fellowship, share information about your Rotarian Action Group, or market Rotary merchandise if you are a licensed RI vendor. The application deadline is 30 September. Booth allocations will be awarded by 1 November. Apply
- Bringing education to rural Mexican area, one school at a time
- Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 01:00 PM
- When Mariana Day moved in 1989 to the small beach town of Chacala, in Nayarit, Mexico, she noticed that the surrounding rural areas struggled to maintain schools. And most children weren’t able to go beyond an eighth-grade education. Day, who is a member of the Rotary Club of Bahía de Jaltemba-La Peñita, in Nayarit, had started a local scholarship program before she joined Rotary. Called Changing Lives, the program provided students with high school tuition, uniforms, school supplies, and transportation. In addition, Rotary clubs from the United States and Mexico have been investing in the...
- Meet our polio partners
- Thursday, 20 August 2015, 01:00 AM
- From the September 2015 issue of The Rotarian Eradicating polio is a complex job. Since 1988, we’ve collaborated with the World Health Organization, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and UNICEF to tackle the disease through our Global Polio Eradication Initiative. Here’s how our roles break down. The Strategist: WHO The World Health Organization (WHO) coordinates the management and administration of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative and provides technical and operational support to ministries of health in countries around the world. WHO is responsible for monitoring...
- Nigeria sees no wild polio cases for one year
- Friday, 24 July 2015, 01:30 PM
- Today marks one year since Nigeria last reported a polio case caused by wild poliovirus, putting the country on the brink of eradicating the paralyzing disease. The last case was reported on 24 July 2014 in the northern state of Kano. If no cases are reported in the coming weeks, the World Health Organization is expected to remove Nigeria from the list of countries where polio is endemic, leaving just two: Afghanistan and Pakistan. Nigeria is the last polio-endemic country in Africa. The continent is poised to reach its own first full year without any illness from the virus on 11 August. “...
|Disaster Aid Canada|
- John Joynt Joins Disaster Aid Team
- Following the recent retirement of Don & Anne Ohlgren, John Joynt, a high profile business executive, Rotarian and incoming Club President, has volunteered to work with the Board of Disaster Aid Canada to increase the profile and visibility of Disaster Aid Canada and the many facets of the operations.
- Executive Director Retires
- At the annual year-end board meeting of Disaster Aid Canada, Don Ohlgren submitted his resignation as the Executive Director of Disaster Aid Canada.
- Little Dresses for Africa
- We just sent 500 little dresses to Thailand to Global Neighbours. They will surely use them to assist with the thousands of refugees that they work with on Myanmar border. From their side they said these are a godsend for them and will give the little girls a sense of security and let them know that someone somewhere cares for them.
- Soap For Hope
- We also have just sent over 500 hygiene kits to our partners; Global Neighbours. Pictures attached of volunteers helping to process the nearly one ton of used soap that we are now collecting every month from Victoria and Vancouver Islands best hotels. More and more hotels are calling us every day to come on with this ingenious program that turns the wasted soaps and shampoos into brand new hygiene kits that literally save lives by cleaning hands and bodies.
- New Volunteer Program
- With so much new stuff happening now, we encourge volunteers to come into our Victoria Warehouse and assist us to prepare and pack the soap Hygiene Kits.
Water Purification Plant
|Shelter Box Canada News|
- ShelterBox at Australian Jamboree 2013
- Box It! Scouts learn about disaster relief and have some fun in Maryborough
- Kringloopwinkel RE-SELL geeft 27 ShelterBoxes!
- De winkel uit ’s Gravenzande doneert 20,000 Euro aan SB Westland
- UK charity Shelterbox poised to help in wake of Australia’s fires
- Less than four years ago ShelterBox responded to the loss of around 900 homes in Victoria’s fire-ravaged Whittlesea area. Now it is on standby again as fires destroy homes in Tasmania.
- Rotary Clubs Wateringen en Maassluis doneren 8 ShelterBoxes
- Opbrengst van de old timer toerrit in 2012 brengt waardigheid, onderdak en warmte
- ShelterBox and Rotary in Madagascar
- ShelterBox and Rotary, invaluable partnership