Rather than filling your e-mail in-basket, we ask that you chose your latest Rotary News. Below, the monthly updates to our District 5020 Newsletter, Rotary International News, Future Vision, Disaster Aid Canada, and Shelterbox Canada.
|District 5020 Governor (that's ours) publishes a monthly newsletter, Clik here for the Newsletter & what other Clubs are doing|
District Governor Judy Byron
Assistant District Governor
|Rotary International News|
Sign-up for digital edition of The Rotarian Magazine
- Meet Rotary’s new president
- Wednesday, 1 July 2015, 05:30 PM
- This excerpt from the July issue of The Rotarian magazine profiles the 2015-16 RI president. Before he gives a speech, K.R. Ravindran doesn’t like flowery, adulatory introductions. They make him uncomfortable. The 2015-16 Rotary president would rather keep a low profile and share the credit. If it were up to him, you probably wouldn’t even be reading this article. Negotiating Days of Tranquility during the Sri Lankan civil war so that health workers could administer drops of polio vaccine? Although it was on his desk that the agreement landed, he says, a lot of people worked to make that...
- Apply to serve on an RI committee
- Wednesday, 1 July 2015, 12:15 PM
- If you would you like to contribute to Rotary by serving on a committee, this is your opportunity. The nine committees listed below are searching for qualified candidates for openings in 2016-17. Each of these committee works with Rotary leaders to increase efficiency and promote the goals and priorities of our strategic plan. To be considered for a committee appointment, go to www.tinyurl.com/ri-committee-application for an application form. The application deadline is 20 August. Learn more about the committees and the application process. Get answers to frequently asked questions....
- Early cancer detection is saving lives in Sri Lanka
- Monday, 22 June 2015, 04:30 PM
- More than 20,000 new cases of cancer are diagnosed every year in Sri Lanka, and many of them prove fatal. The Rotary Club of Colombo, Sri Lanka, set out 10 years ago to save some of those lives by establishing the Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Centre. In partnership with the National Cancer Control Programme and the Ministry of Health, the center in Colombo has screened more than 35,000 patients, mostly low-income, and detected more than 7,500 cases of abnormalities that required further investigation. The Rotary Club of Birmingham, Alabama, USA, donated a mammography and ultrasound...
- Visit our new Member Center
- Wednesday, 17 June 2015, 11:30 AM
- As a member of Rotary, you’re part of a global network of community volunteers who are making a positive difference. Visit the new Member Center to access the many benefits and resources available to you, including: Rotary Global Rewards, our brand-new member benefits program featuring discounts on travel, hotels, dining, and entertainment Rotary publications and products, licensed vendors, mobile apps, and online tools Awards and donor recognition opportunities Rotary International Convention, our biggest event of the year The Rotarian, the official magazine of Rotary Share the benefits of...
- Rotary releases $40.3 million for polio immunization activities
- Tuesday, 16 June 2015, 04:15 PM
- Rotary is releasing $40.3 million in grants to support polio immunization activities in 10 countries, including Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan, three countries where the disease has never been stopped. The funds will help build on gains Rotary and its partners have been making in the fight to eradicate polio. Nigeria hasn’t seen a polio case since 24 July 2014 and the World Health Organization could remove it from the list of polio-endemic countries as soon as September if no cases are reported. Nigeria would have to go another two years without a case to be certified polio-free. But the...
- Knocking down language barriers
- Monday, 15 June 2015, 03:15 PM
- Before the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, Russian was the predominant second language offered in Polish schools, leaving tens of thousands of Polish emigrants without the English skills they needed. That has changed over the last 25 years. English proficiency drastically improved after the government reformed its education system in 1991. The country overhauled its teaching curriculum and materials and introduced English as the primary foreign language. As of 2013, Poland ranks 8th in the world in English proficiency. However, one segment of the population isn’t reaping...
|Disaster Aid Canada|
- John Joynt Joins Disaster Aid Team
- Following the recent retirement of Don & Anne Ohlgren, John Joynt, a high profile business executive, Rotarian and incoming Club President, has volunteered to work with the Board of Disaster Aid Canada to increase the profile and visibility of Disaster Aid Canada and the many facets of the operations.
- Executive Director Retires
- At the annual year-end board meeting of Disaster Aid Canada, Don Ohlgren submitted his resignation as the Executive Director of Disaster Aid Canada.
- Little Dresses for Africa
- We just sent 500 little dresses to Thailand to Global Neighbours. They will surely use them to assist with the thousands of refugees that they work with on Myanmar border. From their side they said these are a godsend for them and will give the little girls a sense of security and let them know that someone somewhere cares for them.
- Soap For Hope
- We also have just sent over 500 hygiene kits to our partners; Global Neighbours. Pictures attached of volunteers helping to process the nearly one ton of used soap that we are now collecting every month from Victoria and Vancouver Islands best hotels. More and more hotels are calling us every day to come on with this ingenious program that turns the wasted soaps and shampoos into brand new hygiene kits that literally save lives by cleaning hands and bodies.
- New Volunteer Program
- With so much new stuff happening now, we encourge volunteers to come into our Victoria Warehouse and assist us to prepare and pack the soap Hygiene Kits.
Water Purification Plant
|Shelter Box Canada News|
- Tandem 10,000 challengers make it to Denver
- Tandem 10,000 challengers make it to Denver
- Social media and cause marketing propel ShelterBox USA aid in Haiti
- Her Royal Highness, Duchess of Cornwall Hosts ShelterBox Leadership in her Home in London